“Little Paris” neighborhood, Detroit, Michigan
Once abandoned, the John Harvey House in Detroit, is now an inn minutes from downtown. It was rehabilitated with the help of a federal preservation tax credit. The building, originally home to John Harvey, a local philanthropist, is in a neighborhood known as “Little Paris” because of the French influences in the styles of the homes. Designed by architect John V. Smith in 1876, the Harvey House combined the Queen Anne Style with French architectural elements. Exterior work included masonry and roof repairs, cleaning and repair of eterior details, window replacement, and the addition of a new, compatible rear porch. On the interior the rehabilitation restored the main staircase, repaired plaster and wood trim and flooring, and the addition of an elevator and new mechanical systems. Now guests can enjoy luxurious accommodations, as well as the beauty of this exuberant example of the Victorian era.
Photo: The opulent John Harvey House after rehabilitation
– NPS file