A year after the incorporation of Kingsport in 1917, the Central School was built for students in grades 1-12. After additional schools were built in the 1920s for high school students, the school was renamed the George Washington Elementary School and served the city’s educational needs for more than 75 years. In 1951, an addition expanded the school to accommodate the growing student population. Today, if one hears children in the hallway, they are not students, but could very well be the residents’ grandchildren coming for a visit. When the building was converted to 54 low-income senior housing units, all corridors and major spaces such as the auditorium and gymnasium were preserved, as well as blackboards and lockers in some apartments and historic windows and doors.
Photo: Façade of the George Washington School after rehabilitation.
– NPS file