Fargo, North Dakota
Built in 1917, the Smith, Follett & Crowl building was constructed as a warehouse and offices for a men’s “furnishings, notion, and dry-goods” business in the bustling downtown of Fargo, North Dakota. A rehabilitation project stimulated by a Federal tax incentive, sought to reverse extensive alterations made to the building during the 1980s and restore it to a useful condition. Commercial space now occupies the ground floor of the structure and new loft-style apartments are on the upper floors. The main floor retains the original historic woodwork, wood stair, and pressed metal ceiling and the apartments display the original exposed structural ceilings and brick walls.
Photo: The Smith Follett & Crowl Building after rehabilitation
– Jerrod Hoaas, Kilbourne Group