Salt Lake City, Utah
In 1922, the W. P. Fuller Paint Company built this four-story concrete office and warehouse to serve as a regional headquarters. It was built in the industrial section of the city, but it was innovatively designed by the standards of the time. In 2004, Big D Construction gave the building another innovative renovation so they could use it as their headquarters. With help from an NPS Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credit, Big D rehabilitated the W. P. Fuller building to both preserve the historic structure and make it energy efficient with LEED certification. The project included green design features including a new skylight and atrium to increase daylight, and the onsite re-use of 1.5 million pounds of debris removed from the warehouse. Preservation work included repairing the historic large octagonal structural columns, steel window sash, fire doors, and shutters.
Photo: Historic office and warehouse after rehabilitation
– NPS file