Downtown Portland, Oregon
In the 1860s, Portland, OR, planned a 25-block-long pedestrian promenade. In coming years, downtown enjoyed a series of park blocks, but the federal government acquired a portion of the planned promenade to use with an adjoining post office. When the land became available from the federal government, the Federal Lands to Parks program deeded the 0.66-acre parcel to the City of Portland, extending the downtown's park blocks, and once redeveloped, helping to fulfill the historic landscaping pattern. This was the first addition to Portland’s North Park Blocks since 1869. The North Park Blocks addition connects to the city's Pearl District, an area with significant need for additional urban park spaces because of high density residential development.
Photo: North Park Blocks
– Courtesy William Crane/HelloMetro Inc.