Priest River, Idaho
The Beardmore Block, built in 1922 by lumber and mining baron Charles Beardmore, was known for housing several businesses under one roof. It originally held stores, offices, and even a theater. Now, Charles Beardmore’s great-grandson has restored the building with a $1.83 million rehabilitation project and help from a National Park Service historic preservation tax credit. The Beardmore Block once again houses an array of businesses, and the repair of this large structure has helped the economy and historical value of Priest River. During the project, the brick and terra-cotta exterior was carefully cleaned and repaired, the windows were repaired and sensitively upgraded for energy efficiency, and the interiors were adapted to better suit retail and office uses.
Photo: The Beardmore Block after the tax credit project.
– NPS file