945 North 1st Street
Before the first settlers began to arrive in 1806, Giles county was an American Indian hunting ground and dense growth of cane. Virginia-born Frederick Wilkinson built this Federal style house in Chickasaw territory between 1830 and 1835 using slave labor. Now known as the Wilkinson-Martin House, it is one of the oldest houses still standing in Pulaski, and one of very few examples of the once popular Federal style in the area. It is in good condition and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 17, 2010. The Wilkinson-Martin House maintains most of its original materials from the weatherboarding, windows and shutters, and entranceway, to the interior floors, mantels, and staircase. The residence, which stayed in the family for over 130 years, currently functions as a community activities center.
Photo: North facade of the Wilkinson-Martin House
– Courtesy Michael Gavin, E. Moore, C. Hawkins and MTSU Center for Historic Preservation