African American students in Craig County had only one choice for secondary education: the Attucks School. Constructed in 1916-1917, the Attucks School served the black community of Vinita, Oklahoma as a combined elementary, junior, and high school. There were seven schools for African American students in the county, but only Attucks would educate children beyond a primary level. Though the school was built with no heat, gas, or lights, the education and extracurricular activities it provided were an important resource for the community. Even after desegregation was required by law following the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954, it took more than three years for desegregation to occur in Vinita. For its local and community significance, the Attucks School was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 2009.
Photo: Attucks School
– Courtesy Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office