Wayne County, North Carolina
Four miles East of Fremont on Highway 222
Dred and Ellen Yelverton built this house, considered the largest and most stylish house in Wayne County. The wealthy farmer and his wife ordered the design from the Knoxville, Tennessee architectural firm of Barber and Klutz. The Founder, George F. Barber, supplied highly fashionable Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style house plans for clients throughout the United States. The Yelverton House was built around 1913, and has been lovingly maintained and nearly unchanged since. It was listed in the National Register on September 4, 2009 for its distinctive design and exceptional condition.
Photo: The Dred and Ellen Yelverton house
– Courtesy North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office/M. Ruth Little