When it opened in 1927, the 5 Points Theater (Riverside Theater) was the most technologically advanced movie house in the state and the largest theater in Jacksonville. It boasted over 1,000 seats and the newly invented Vitaphone, which synchronized sound and film. With help from a National Park Service Historic Preservation Tax Incentive, the theater was historically rehabilitated to continue to serve as an office space, theater, and storefront. The $3.9 million project involved removing a 1972 facade, replacing non-historic windows with ones to match the original appearance, and restoring the storefronts to their original appearance. Inside, the historic appearance was carefully recreated by removing incompatible elements and restoring decorative plaster features.
Photo: 5 Points Theater after its $3.9 million historic rehabilitation
– NPS file