The Point of Rocks Historic Transportation Corridor consists of two, one-mile-long, well-defined segments of the Mullan Military Road and the Milwaukee Road Railroad located in Mineral County, Montana. The Military Road was constructed in 1860 to connect Forts Benton and Walla Walla and was named after its supervising officer, John Mullan. It remained in service until 1917 when a superior trail was completed. The Milwaukee Road Railroad was completed by the Winston Brothers Company in 1908 and roughly parallels the Military Road. Unlike the Military road, which conforms to the landscape, the railroad tracks blast across the landscape leaving behind impressive cuts and tunnels. Taken together, these remnant trails serve to remind contemporary visitors of the fast pace of transportation development in western Montana.
Photo: Point of Rocks Historic Transportation Corridor
– Jon Axline, courtesy Montana State Historic Preservation Office