1455 Cragwold Road
Edwin A. Lemp’s 11,000-square-foot home reflects his love of nature and his passion for exotic animals. Built in 1911, the house is designed around a central atrium that he filled with tropical plants and rare birds. By the 1920s, the estate grounds became home to hoofed mammals from many continents, including South America and Africa. Lemp used his estate as an exotic animal farm and a licensed Federal Game Farm. He bought, sold, and traded animals with many zoos around the country, especially with the St. Louis Zoo. Cragworld was added to the National Register of Historic Places in November 2009. Today, the estate is privately owned.
– Courtesy Missouri Historic Preservation Office/Jennifer Sims Taylor