St. James, Minnesota
Completed in 1892, the St. James Opera House, or Grand Opera House, was St. James, Minnesota’s principal performance hall until 1921. It was typical of hundreds of opera houses that were constructed with both public and private money across the Midwest from 1880 to 1910. Such “opera halls,” often incorporated within large retail business blocks, brought live theater, classical and popular music, comedy, and other performance arts to towns.
Photo: Grand Opera House
– Photo: David C. Anderson, courtesy of the Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office