Downtown Detroit, Mchigan
Banks began to open along Jefferson Avenue as early as 1830. By 1850, the Financial District began to see the development of large office buildings, and the growth that would continue for more than a century. As the heart of Detroit’s financial and office industry between 1850 and 1970, this district features the towering skyscrapers and small but historic banks that tell the story of Detroit’s growth. The entire district, as well as 36 individual sites, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. The area is bound by Woodward and Jefferson avenues and Lafayette and Washington boulevards. It is still an important financial and office district today.
Photo: The Guardian Building in the Detroit Financial District
– Courtesy Michigan State Historic Preservation Office/Rebecca Binno Savage