The City of Lewes downtown historic district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its nearly four centuries of maritime history. Of particular note is the Overfalls Lightship, one of only 17 remaining lightships in the country, which received a $275,000 Save America’s Treasures grant in 2003. A Preserve America grant funds sustainable year-round heritage tourism planning, with integrated multi-media that includes audio tours, brochures with detailed maps, interpretative signs, and radio broadcasts.
Photo: Sign for the Overfalls Lightship
- Preserve America Grant - $35,000 grant; partner: City of Lewes - $35,000 contribution, 2008 »
- Certified Local Government since 2005 »
- Save America’s Treasures Grant - $275,000 grant; partner: the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation - $277,488 contribution, 2005 »
- Save America’s Treasures Grant - $998,000 grant; partner: City of Lewes, DE - $952,000 contribution, 2001 »
- National Register of Historic Places, listed 1992 »
- National Register of Historic Places, listed 1977 »