NPS bar for print

National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

Captain Daniel S. and Fannie L. Lee House

Lee House, later People’s Hospital

Independence, Iowa

The Lee house, built in 1867, is an excellent example of the Italianate style of domestic architecture, popular in the United States from approximately 1840-1885. Its simple cubical form, symmetrical proportions, belvedere, and extensive use of brackets are typical of the style. Daniel S. Lee was a prominent early settler in Independence. Lee was the first volunteer from Buchanan County to fight in the Civil War, and he helped raise a company of men to join him. In 1917 the house became the home of the People's Memorial or People's Hospital. Despite its use as a hospital, the Lee house retains its integrity of design, materials, and workmanship.

Photo: Lee House, later People’s Hospital
– Courtesy Iowa State Historic Preservation Office

Learn More