The University of Arkansas is the major land grant and state university of Arkansas. As one of the oldest colleges in the state, it has played an important social, economic, and educational role in Fayetteville and Arkansas since 1871. Its historic district and original campus includes 25 buildings of many architectural styles, built from the late 1800s to the 1950s. The earliest buildings, thought of an individual buildings set in the rural landscape, were sited without any overarching campus plan and were built as funds became available. The historic core, which is now part of a 345-acre campus, sits atop a large hill on land purchased from the McIlroy family.
Photo: View northeast from the intersection of West Dickson Street and McIlroy Avenue
– Courtesy Arkansas State Historic Preservation Office