CDPH Warns Consumers Not to Eat Sport-Harvested Bivalve Shellfish from Inner Tomales Bay
The Cal. Department of Public Health is advising consumers not to eat recreationally harvested mussels, clams, or whole scallops from inner Tomales Bay. Dangerous levels of paralytic shellfish poisoning toxins have been detected in mussels from this area. More »
Operational Changes Took Effect on May 1
The Lighthouse Visitor Center is now only open Fridays through Mondays; closed Tuesdays through Thursdays, including Thanksgiving. The Kenneth C. Patrick Visitor Center will be closed through late December, reopening weekends and holidays on December 28. More »
Visitor Center Winter Hours
Visitor Center Winter Hours took effect on Sunday, November 3, 2013. More »
Point Reyes Headlands Winter Shuttle Bus System
Beginning Saturday, December 28, 2013, Sir Francis Drake Boulevard will be closed beyond the South Beach Road junction on weekends & holidays during favorable weather conditions. Bus service to the Lighthouse & Chimney Rock is provided from Drakes Beach. More »
History & Culture
The cultural history of Point Reyes reaches back some 5,000 years to the Coast Miwok Indians who were the first human inhabitants of the Peninsula. Over 120 known village sites exist within the park. According to many experts, Sir Francis Drake landed here in 1579, the first European explorer to do so. In response to the many shipwrecks in the treacherous coastal waters, key lighthouse and lifesaving stations were established by the United States Government in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In the early 1800s, Mexican land grantees established ranchos. They were followed by a wave of American agricultural operations, which continue to this day in the Seashore's pastoral zone.
Did You Know?
Since the restoration of the Giacomini Wetlands in 2008, the tidewater goby--a federally endangered brackish-water resident fish species--has not only been observed in the newly restored channels and ponds, but in Lagunitas Creek, where it had previously not been documented since 1953. More...