To assist park staff in improving fish habitat for federally listed coho salmon and steelhead trout through streamside restoration.
- Plant native plants
- Construct, remove and maintain fences along creek habitat
- Remove non-native plants
- Perform habitat monitoring
Skills, knowledge, experience
Ability to perform moderate physical labor
Work may involve hiking over uneven terrain, bending, pulling, and lifting.
Proper field attire is required (close-toed shoes, long pants, and layers) as work may involve exposure to poison oak, ticks, temperature extremes, wind, rain, and fog.
Schedule and Time Commitment
Stream Team work days are generally scheduled from November through March. Work days last four hours from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm.
The Stream Team is a drop-in program where volunteers commit to working one day at a time.
Currently scheduled workdays include:
Saturday, December 13: Invasive species removal - CANCELLED due to poor weather
- Saturday, January 10: Juncus sp. cuttings/propagation
- Saturday, January 31: Bank stabilization – planting of willow sprigs
Sunday, February 8: Olema corridor fence removal and Invasive species removal - CANCELLED due to poor weather
- Saturday, February 21: Randall Riparian Restoration (willow and Juncus sp. plantings, and invasive species removal)
- Saturday, March 7: Olema Creek corridor fence removal
Please contact us (see below) to confirm workdays.
Training on the safe and proper use of tools will be provided on-the-job.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Satisfaction in helping to enhance habitat for federally endangered and threatened species of coho salmon and steelhead trout
- Knowledge of habitat restoration techniques
Individuals and groups up to 15 people are welcome. Larger groups may schedule work days for the alternate Saturdays of the month.
All ages 6 and above are encouraged to attend, however, children under 14 will need adult supervision. Volunteers under 18 must have a signed parental consent form. Please contact us (see below) for more information.
Housing and RV sites are unavailable.
Application and Contact Information
Please apply under the Current Opportunities listing. You may also confirm your participation or request more information by contacting either Sara Anzalone by email or Katrina Velasco by email or both at 415-464-5206.