Auto Tour Route - Nevada
Below are driving directions to follow the Pony Express National Historic Trail west through Nevada, from Utah to California. A simple map showing the general route is below the directions.
From the Utah - Nevada state border:1. Take Interstate 80 west to U.S. Route ALT 93.
2. Turn south onto U.S. Route ALT 93.
3. Take U.S. Route ALT 93 south to U.S. Route 93.
4. Take U.S. Route 93 south to U.S. Route 50.
5. Turn west onto U.S. Route 50 at Ely.
6. Take U.S. Route 50 west though to Carson City and California.
Total original route miles in Nevada: 404
Did You Know?
To carry the U.S. Mail across 1800 miles of wilderness, Pony Express riders changed horses about every 12-15 miles. At each station, the rider would quickly take the mochila with mail pouches from his saddle and throw it onto the saddle of the fresh horse - and off he went. More...