995 Miles of Wire
By 1880 Mormon settlements from Idaho to Arizona could communicate easily with their neighbors and the Church leadership via the Deseret Telegraph system.
From 1871 to 1888 at least seven women operated the telegraph instruments here at Pipe Spring.
During the summer of 1876, Sarah Alydia Terry was telegrapher at Pipe Spring. At this time the tithing ranch was in transition from the management of Anson Perry Winsor to that of Charles Pulsipher. Miss Terry learned telegraphy in 1872 when Daniel M. Tyler came down from Beaver to the town of Hebron (near present-day Enterprise, Utah) to run the telegraph office there. That year she took over the duties at the Hebron office. The wire from there extended out to the mining camps of Pioche and Ely in Nevada, so she handled much of the business of the miners along that line. After several months at Hebron she went to Panaca, Nevada to staff the telegraph office there. While living at Hebron, Sarah taught telegraphy to her aunt Ann Beers Pulsipher, who replaced Sarah at that station while she attended a school in St. George.
While at Pipe Spring, Miss Terry became acquainted with Anson Perry Winsor II, and they were married the following March. Sarah also formed a friendship with Ella Stewart in their conversations over the wires of the telegraph. She and A.P. Winsor II rode on horseback to attend a Pioneer Day celebration in Kanab with Miss Stewart. Ann Beers Pulsipher had arrived at Pipe Spring by the fall of 1876 to live during her husband’s stay there. She took over the telegraph duties there and her niece left for St. George to attend school again. Ann Beers Pulsipher left the ranch in 1880.
On October 18, 1866 a wagon train of sixty-five wagons arrived in Salt Lake City with 84 tons of wire, insulators, batteries and other equipment to be used in the construction of the lines. During the winter of 1865-66 men living in different parts of Utah cut the telegraph poles and hauled them to points along the line while others surveyed the proposed route.
Did You Know?
On January 19, 1854, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints adopted the Deseret alphabet. The new alphabet consisted of 38 to 40 characters and was developed mostly by George D. Watt. It was an attempt to help simplify spelling in the English Language.