Chapel Road is flooding in a few places. For the 3.5 miles northwest of H58 the road is only passable with a four-wheel drive, high clearance vehicle. All other vehicles are sure to be stuck. With the wintery forecast, conditions will deteriorate.
Interagency Visitor Center schedule
The interagency visitor center in Munising will close at 1:30 p.m. on December 23 and 24. The visitor center will be closed on December 25 and January 1.
The Superintendent’s Compendium is the summary of park specific rules implemented under 36 Code of Federal Regulations (36 CFR). It serves as public notice, identifies areas closed for public use, provides a list of activities requiring either a special use permit or reservation, and elaborates on public use and resource protection regulations pertaining specifically to the administration of the park. The Superintendent’s Compendium does not repeat regulations found in 36 CFR and other United States Code (U.S.C.) and CFR Titles, which are enforced without further elaboration at the park level.
The regulations contained in 36 CFR, Parts 1-7, are the basic mechanism used by the National Park Service (NPS) to preserve and protect the natural and cultural resources of the park and to protect visitors and property within the park. Parts 1 through 6 are general regulations applicable to all areas of the National Park System, and Part 7 contains special regulations specific to individual parks. Each of these Parts has many sections and subsections articulating specific provisions. Within some of these Part 1-7 sections and subsections, the Superintendent is granted discretionary authority to develop local rules to be responsive to the needs of a specific park resource or activity, park plan, program, and/or special needs of the general public.
A copy of Title 36 CFR can be purchased from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
Superintendent of Documents
P.O. Box 371954
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954
The CFR is also available on the Internet.
The Compendium is reviewed annually and revised as necessary. The park welcomes comments about its program and activities at any time. Written comments on the Compendium may be submitted to:
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
P.O. Box 40
Munising, MI 49862
Superintendent's Compendium (pdf - 28 pages)
Did You Know?
The Schoolcraft/Munising Blast Furnace operated from 1869 to 1877. It produced many tons of pig iron for post Civil War continental expansion. Only ruins remain at this National Register of Historic Places site, located at Munising Falls in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. More...