An artillery unit consisting of two or more guns, or an earthen fortification for them. When the Union army attacked the city of Petersburg, a ten mile line of fortifications nearly surrounded the city. Known as the Dimmock Line, this fortification system contained 55 batteries for cannons.
This weapon was usually only used when the moment came for charging. It was a knife fixed to the front end of a musket or rifle. The order to 'Fix Bayonets' had a special significance as the mark of a serious determination to overrun the enemy.
The bayonet had more uses apart from its intended use as a weapon.
The infantry wore a black leather waist belt. To the right end was attached a buckle. Pictured above, the belt of Union soldiers had an oval brass plate, stamped with "US" representing their army. On this waist belt, the soldier carried his percussion cap pouch just to the right of his belt plate, and his bayonet scabbard, on his left hip. Sometimes a soldier would attach his cartridge box to the waist belt instead of carrying it over his shoulder.
Soldiers from both armies were issued wool blankets. Soldiers on field service could pack their blankets and other provisions in their knapsack. The knapsack would become very heavy on a long march in the hot sun, so infantrymen got rid of their knapsacks and carried their belongings in blanket rolls slung over either the right or left shoulder. The reason for the blanket roll was its relative lightness and greater comfort.
A brigade is a unit of the army. A brigade was an organized military unit that was generally made up of two or more regiments and led by a brigadier general.
The "Jefferson boot" was the dress regulation shoe of foot soldiers. The Jefferson meant a high quarter shoe or in its rougher form a "brogue" or "brogan." The tops were moderately high with from two to five pairs eyelets for laces. Soles were sewn to uppers or fastened by pegs, nails, and occasionally rubber. Imagine wearing brogans like these throughout nine and a half months of fighting at Petersburg!
Did You Know?
Union General-in-Chief Ulysses S. Grant and Army of the Potomac Commander George G. Meade met with Abraham Lincoln on April 3, 1865 at the Thomas Wallace house on Market Street in Petersburg. President Lincoln visited Petersburg again on April 7, 1865. (Petersburg National Battlefield)