What We Do
The National Park Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance program extends and expands the benefits of the National Park Service throughout the nation. We help connect all Americans to their parks, trails, rivers, and other special places.
When a community asks for assistance with a project, National Park Service staff provide free, on-location facilitation and planning expertise. We help guide a project from conception to completion.
We draw from project experiences across the country and adapt best practices to a community's specific needs.
- Define project vision and goals
- Inventory and map community resources
- Identify and analyze key issues and opportunities
- Engage collaborative partners and stakeholders
- Design community outreach and participation strategies
- Develop concept plans for trails, parks, and natural areas
- Set priorities and build consensus
- Identify funding sources
- Develop a sustainable organizational framework to support the project