2015 Marmot Monitoring Season
Thank you for your interest in the Olympic marmot monitoring program!
Please read through the information on this page before submitting your volunteer application. You may want to view this brief video about the program. The 2015 application deadline is May 1, but may close earlier if enough "citizen scientists" have already volunteered, or last longer of some trips are not filled.
Please note that in this program volunteers survey in pairs, at a minimum; volunteer group sizes range from 2-6. We cannot accept applications for solo hikers, and neither do we match up solo applicants.
How to Volunteer
- Review some background information on the monitoring program, find out if this program is a good fit for you, and what you can expect as a volunteer.
- Decide when you and your group are available. Volunteers will be in the field for five or eight days beginning on August 5, August 12, August 26 and September 2.
- Compare survey trip duration and difficulty here. Click the links to view maps of selected areas. Although trip length and difficulty varies, all volunteers will be asked to navigate off trail, often in steep terrain, while surveying for marmots.
- If you'd like to participate, please fill out this application. On the application, please identify your top three preferred monitoring locations. Make sure to consider your experience, physical condition and time constraints, as hikes range from simple day hikes of several miles to overnight excursions of more than 40 miles. All sites require hiking off trail traversing steep slopes. The amount of hiking and the degree of difficulty varies with the trips. (Requests will be honored on a first come, first served basis.)
- Finish filling out the application form and email to Patti_Happe@nps.gov. If you have questions about your application, call Patti. After submitting your application, you'll hear back from Patti or an assistant within two weeks. If you're unable to email, feel free to mail your application to:
Olympic National Park
c/o Patti Happe
600 East Park Avenue
Port Angeles, WA 98362
- Once your application is approved, be sure to check out the Information for Enrolled Volunteers section.