14) Brunswick Old Town Historic District
The Brunswick Old Town Historic District encompasses the site of the colonial British town of Brunswick. Named after the family of King George III of England, it is one of two deep water ports on the coast of Georgia. The town was laid out in 1771 and retains its original plan known as "Old Town"--a grid plan similar to that of Savannah, Georgia's other deep water port. Brunswick contains an outstanding collection of late 19th century residential and public buildings. Among the best examples are the Hazelhurst-Taylor House (Hanover Square), the Mahoney-McGarvey House (Reynolds Street) and the Old City Hall. The town also retains many of its original sidewalks paved with unusual hexagonal stone tiles.
Brunswick Old Town Historic District is bounded by 1st, Bay, New Bay, "H" and Cochran Streets. Brunswick is west of Jekyll Island at the junction of 1-95 and US 82.