• Historic buildings and the waterfront in New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park

    New Bedford Whaling

    National Historical Park Massachusetts


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the special use permit process at New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park
*Please read carefully as our policy has changed*
  • Special use permits are granted at the discretion of the superintendent; events must align with New Bedford Whaling NHP or National Park Service missions and goals.
  • A non-refundable application fee of $75.00 is required when submitting all applications.
  • Additional fees are charged for use of the facilities outside of regular operating hours of the park, including setup and cleanup time. The charges will depend on how long staff will need to be present onsite to open, staff and close up the building.
  • Applications must be received at least 21 days in advance of the event. Permits will be issued no more than 3 months in advance.
  • Space is not reserved until the special use permit is signed and issued to the applicant. Applicants must have a special use permit signed by the superintendent before sending out any press releases or correspondence regarding the event.
  • Areas of the Corson Maritime Learning Center (CMLC) available under a Special Use Permit:
    2nd floor: approximately 2,000 square feet
    CMLC theater: 55 seat theater
  • Applicants must set up the room's tables, chairs, etc. for event. National Park Service staff will not be available nor expected to arrange the room.
  • After an event, applicants must restore the room to its previous configuration. Applicants must also clean the room, bagging all trash and leaving the room neat and orderly.
  • Applicant is responsible for bringing all audiovisual equipment, such as projectors, screens, laptops, extension cords, etc., for their event. For use of the theater, applicant needs to contact Emily Prigot (508-996-4095 x6105 or Emily_prigot@nps.gov) to schedule an appointment prior to the event to discuss technical needs. Only National Park Service staff is allowed in the audiovisual room to utilize equipment, such as the DVD player.
  • The applicant will be held to the terms and conditions stated in the Special Use Policy. Signing the permit acknowledges that the applicant has read and accepts these terms and conditions.
Special Use Permit Policy, Application and FAQs for Download

Did You Know?