City Views AHA! Night May 9, 2013
Contact: Emily Prigot, 508-996-4095 x6105
1850s Ladies Chat About Bierstadt Boys
New Bedford, Mass.- Who were the Bierstadt Boys? Find out on Thursday, May 9, AHA! (Art, History & Architecture) night, as Ruth and Abby, the national park's 1850s ladies, share views of early New Bedford and their friends the Bierstadt Boys, well known for their contributions to pictorial history and the art world. This month's theme is City Views. The event will take place from 6:00-8:00 PM at New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park's visitor center, 33 William Street in downtown New Bedford. As always, admission is free.
New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park was established by Congress in 1996 to help preserve and interpret America's nineteenth century whaling industry. The park, which encompasses a 13-block National Historic Landmark District, is the only National Park Service area addressing the history of the whaling industry and its influence on the economic, social, and environmental history of the United States. The National Park visitor center is located at 33 William Street in downtown New Bedford. It is open seven days a week, from 9 AM-5 PM, and offers information, exhibits, and a free orientation movie every hour on the hour from 10 AM-4 PM. The visitor center is wheelchair-accessible, and is free of charge. For more information, call the visitor center at 508-996-4095, go to www.nps.gov, or visit the park's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/NBWNHP.
Did You Know?
In 1857, at the height of whaling, there were a total of 329 whaling vessels in New Bedford's fleet, which employed roughly 10,000 men.