• Reenactors try to stay warm outside soldier huts in Jockey Hollow


    National Historical Park New Jersey


Morristown National Historical Park requires a permit to conduct special activities or film and photography projects in the park.

If you are considering applying for a permit, first call the park at: (973) 539-2016
x 201. The best times to call are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you leave a message, please ensure that your name and phone number are clear and provide your email address.  

Definitions and Requirements
A special activity, or special park use, is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and:

- Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large;
- Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
- Is not prohibited by law or regulation;
- Is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the National Park Service.

Commercial filming is defined as digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project.

Still photography requires a permit when the activity takes place where or when, members of the public are not allowed, or when the activity uses models, sets or props that are not part of the natural or cultural resources of the park.

Photography (including engagement and wedding photos) in and around the Cross Estate Gardens and other locations requires a permit. Use the Application for Photography/Filming Permit – Short Form.

Breaking news is an event that cannot be covered at any other time or place. Sound technicians, and film or video news crews at breaking news events do not require a film permit. However, breaking news events are subject to restrictions and conditions necessary to protect park resources and public health and safety, and to prevent impairment or derogation of park resources and values.

Permits are not required for visitors using cameras for their own personal use while on public tours.  

Costs and Process
Applications require a $75.00 non-refundable application fee. Other fees may apply as well.
Information provided on applications is used to determine whether a permit will be issued. You will be notified of the disposition of the application and the steps to secure a final permit. Please allow a minimum of fourteen (14) days for processing.

For assistance, and to discuss your potential activity, call (973) 539-2016 x 201.

Application for Special Use Permit:
Application for Photography/Filming Permit – Short Form:
Application for Long Photography/Filming Permit – Long Form:

Did You Know?