Early lupine just starting to flower along the Paradise Valley Road. Also look for lupine flowering around the Jackson Visitor Center in Paradise. Photo taken July 7, 2014.
- July 28, 2014
Sunrise is not quite at peak bloom, yet the bloom there is more advanced than at Paradise, Lake Tipsoo, Indian Henry's, or Spray Park. The later areas won't be reaching prime bloom for two or three weeks, with some areas still snow covered. At Paradise, look for plenty of scarlet paintbrush from Narada Falls to the lower parking lot, while lupine is thriving around the Jackson Visitor Center. Along Myrtle Falls trail look for many flowers, such as pink mountain heather, valerian, lousewort, magenta paintbrush, buttercup, spring beauty, marsh marigold, and bistort, among others.
- Mount Fremont Trail (7/9): Pussytoe, Spreading Phlox, White heather, Alpine sandwort, Slender mountain sandwort, Spotted saxifrage, Tufted saxifrage, Western saxifrage, Smelowskia, Drummond's anemone, Martindale's desert parsley, Alpine buckwheat, Newberry's knotweed, Mountain bistort, Kinnikinnick, Spear-fruited draba, Wooly pussytoes, Golden daisy, Cascade wallflower, Fan-leaved cinquefoil, Diverse-leaved cinquefoil, Shrubby cinquefoil, yellow heather, Sibbaldia, Alpine goldenrod, Three-forked artemesia, Lance-leaf stonecrop, Bracted lousewort, Alpine aster, Alpine lupine, Elegant Jacob's ladder/Skypilot, Cusick's speedwell, Small-flowered penstemon, Davidson's penstemon, Showy Jacob's ladder, Silky phacelia, Cliff paintbrush, Magenta paintbrush, Pink mountain heather, Rose root/King's crown, Mountain sorrel, Bird's beak lousewort
- Carbon (7/10): foam flower, buttercup, twin flower, pipsissewa, salal
- Mowich Lake (7/10): cow parsnip, buttercup, false lily of the valley, queen's cup, tiger lily, crimson columbine, bluebell, vanilla leaf, coltsfoot (late), sitka valerian, goat's beard, bog orchid (peak), lupine, bear grass, sitka mountain ash, avalanche lilies, corn lilies, marsh marigold.
- Owyhigh ascending from Eastside trail (7/15): many species- over 40!- flowering, in particular lots of queen's cup, sitka valerian, bugbane, glacier lily, pasqueflower, and magenta paintbrush.
- Tipsoo (7/16): avalanche and glacier lilies, pink mountain heather, magenta paintbrush, lupine, cinquefoil, yellow violet
- Sourdough Ridge (7/16): flowers best near Sunrise point, with a great variety including bracted lousewort, buckwheat, red and harsh paintbrush, lupine, bistort, cliff and small-flowered penstemon, and cusick's speedwell.
- Sunrise (7/19): Nature Trail: There are still patches of snow on the upper section, but flowers starting to bloom, with broadleaf lupine, magenta paintbrush, pink mountain heather, low Jacob's ladder, pasqueflower (transitioning to seedhead), Cusick's speedwell, fanleaf cinquefoil, mountain dandelion, spreading phlox. Emmons Vista: subalpine daisy, bistort, cusick's speedwell, false hellebore, mountain dandelion, pink mountain heather (primarily at first overlook), bluebells (primarily at first overlook), sitka mountain ash, showy jacob's ladder, fanleaf cinquefoil, sitka valerian. Silver Forest Trail: Still the best for wildflowers at Sunrise! pussypaws, spreading phlox, arrowleaved groundsel, lupine, tiger lilies, magenta paintbrush, showy jacob's ladder, cinquefoil, cusick's speedwell, penstemon, sitka valerian, pasqueflower (mostly seedheads), gray's lovage, thread-leaved sandwort, false hellebore, subalpine daisy, bracted lousewort, fleabane, bear grass.
- Sunrise Rim trail to Shadow Lake (7/20): Tons of Lupine and Paintbrush (Magenta and Orange-colored--see below); Sitka Valerian, Subalpine Daisy, False Hellebore, Thread-leaved Sandwort, Gray's Lovage, Fanleaf Cinquefoil, Spreading Phlox, Showy Jacob's Ladder, Small-flowered Penstemon, Cliff Penstemon, Pasqueflower Seedhead, Pink and White Mountain Heather, Marsh Marigold; also some Cascade Aster near Shadow Lake and on the stretch of trail between Sunrise Camp and the Service Road. Mountain Dandelion also between Sunrise Camp and the Service Road.
- Paradise (7/21): Myrtle Falls Trail: pink mountain heather, valerian, lousewort, magenta paintbrush, buttercup, spring beauty, marsh marigold, bistort, hellebore, avalanche and glacier lilies; Developed Area: lupine, paintbrush, Jeffrey's shooting star.