Change in Operation Hours & Seasons
Moores Creek National Battlefield's operating hours have changed. Please see Operating Hours & Seasons for more information.
Access to Moores Creek Bridge Closed for Trail Maintenance
Due to recent storms, the trail leading up to and beyond Moores Creek Bridge has been washed out due to flooding, making passage unsafe. Access to the bridge will be closed for the next couple of weeks. Please call the park for further updates.
History & Culture
The Battle of Moores Creek Bridge- February 27, 1776
The Battle of Moores Creek Bridge, fought between North Carolina Patriot and Loyalist militia forces, demonstrates the bitter internal divisions that marked the American Revolution. The Loyalist, mostly Scottish Highlanders wielding broadswords, charged across a partially dismantled Moores Creek Bridge, nearly a thousand North Carolina Patriots waited quietly with cannons and muskets poised to fire. Expecting to find only a small Patriot force, the Loyalist advanced across the bridge. Shots rang out and 30 to 70 Loyalist lay wounded or dead, including Lt. Col. Donald McLeod, who led the charge. Stunned, outgunned, and leaderless, some of the Loyalist surrendered, while others retreated in confusion.
Moores Creek is the site of the first Patriot victory in the American Revolution and the site of the last Scottish Highland broadsword charge. The victory ended British authority in the colony and stalled a full-scale British invasion of the South for nearly four years. The resulting Halifax Resolves of April 12, 1776, instructed North Carolina's delegates the Continental Congress to vote for independence; it was the first American colony to take such action.
For additional information regarding the History and Culture surrounding the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge and Moores Creek National Battlefield, please check out the website and site bulletins below:
Did You Know?
Moores Creek National Military Park, along with other battlefields, was administered by the War Department until 1933 when President Franklin Roosevelt transferred them to the National Park Service within the Department of Interior.