• Sunset at Lake Mead's Boulder Basin

    Lake Mead

    National Recreation Area AZ,NV

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Important Notice to Mariners

    Lake Mead water elevations will be declining throughout the summer. Before launching, check lake levels, launch ramp conditions, changes to Aids to Navigation and weather conditions by clicking on More »

  • Areas of Park Impacted by Storm Damage

    Strong storms rolled through Lake Mead National Recreation Area Aug. 3-4, causing damage to some areas of the park. Crews are working to restore the below locations. Debris may be present in other areas of the park, as well, especially in the backcountry. More »

  • Goldstrike Canyon, Arizona Hot Spring Trails Temporarily Closed

    A temporary emergency closure is in place for Goldstrike Canyon and Arizona Hot Spring trails within Lake Mead National Recreation Area, through Sept. 11. This closure includes National Park Service and Bureau of Reclamation lands. More »

  • Summer Fire Rules in Effect

    Lake Mead NRA is now enforcing summer fire restrictions. Please click 'more' to learn about the rules for fire during our hot, dry season. More »

Doing Business With The Park

Concessions Management

Food, lodging, tours, boating and many other recreational activities and amenities at Lake Mead National Recreation Area are managed by private businesses under contract to the National Park Service.

Commercial Use Authorizations

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a permit that authorizes suitable commercial services to Lake Mead National Recreation Area visitors in limited circumstances.

Special Use Permits

Lake Mead National Recreation Area is a premier location for triathlons, marathons, fishing tournaments and weddings. The National Park Service requires permits for activities like these to make sure they do not unduly interfere with park visitors' access and enjoyment.

Other activities that require special use permits include:
• Special events
First Amendment activities (rallies, demonstrations)
• Right-of-way permits (utilities, telecommunications, roads)
• Other non-visitor activities on park land

Filming Permits

Lake Mead National Recreation Area offers a varietal setting of desert landscape, vast waterscape and colorful canyons to shoot commercials or major motion pictures. Students and government or partner agencies also frequently shoot videos within the park. Commercial and non-commercial film shoots like these require a filming permit. Permits are not required for visitors using recording devices for personal use, and they are not required for video news crews at breaking news events. The application for filming is required to evaluate a permit request.

Still Photography Permits

Lake Mead National Recreation area offers appealing backdrops to photograph models for catalogs or magazines or kids for their school pictures. Still photography requires a permit in areas normally closed off to the public; when the activity uses models, sets, props; when the park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity or provide management and oversight. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras and/or recording devices for personal use, and they are not required for photojournalists at breaking news events. The application for photography is required to evaluate a permit request.

Scientific Research and Collecting Permits

A Scientific Research and Collecting Permit is required for activities pertaining to natural resources or social science studies in National Park System areas that involve fieldwork, specimen collection and/or have the potential to disturb resources or visitors. Thus, social science surveys, monitoring and collecting activities all require a Research Permit, as does traditional, hypothesis-driven, research. To discuss your particular situation, please e-mail the park's research staff.

To apply for a scientific research and collecting permit on the National Park Service's "Research Permit and Reporting System" website, visit https://irma.nps.gov/rprs. The RPRS website has information on the necessary procedures and requirements.

Contracting and Procurement

National parks have buildings to construct, roads to pave, wastewater treatment plants to operate, and leaky roofs to repair. NPS offices purchase furniture, vehicles, office equipment and a host of other products. The National Park Service issues all bids and requests for proposals through the federal government's electronic business portals. Find the latest contracting opportunities for Lake Mead National Recreation Area at Contracting opportunities in FedBizOps.

Did You Know?

Mohave Yucca

All yucca species have evolved a special relationship with yucca moths. Each species of the plant has its own corresponding species of pollinating moths.