• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

October 2009 Kewenaw NHP Advisory Commission Meeting

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: October 19, 2009
Contact: Tom Baker, Management Assistant, (906) 337-1104, ext 131
Contact: Scott See, Commission Executive Director, (906) 337-1104, ext 160

The Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission will convene for its regular quarterly meeting at 9:00 A.M. on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at park headquarters located on the corner of Red Jacket Road and Hwy. US-41. Agenda items include Commission base-budget funding, 2010 Keweenaw Heritage Grants, and an update from the Partnerships Committee. The Commission, paneled by citizens appointed by the Secretary of the Interior, represents the general public and works collaboratively with the National Park Service to advise and assist with managing the resources of Keweenaw National Historical Park. The Commission's quarterly meetings are open to the public.

For further information or directions, please contact the park at 337-3168.

 

Meeting Agenda

October 20, 2009

A. Introductory

1. Call to order

2. Introductions

3. Approval of agenda

4. Approval of minutes of July 21, 2009

B. Business

1. Executive Director’s Report

2. Commission Committees and Projects

a. Announcements / Executive Committee

b. Budget / Finance Committee

c. Development Committee

d. Partnerships Committee

e. Cultural Resource Survey

3. Superintendent’s Report

4. Other reports from Commissioners

C. Public Comments

1. Comments from legislators or legislative staff

2. Comments from the public

3. Adjourn; next meeting: January 19, 2010

Did You Know?

The Nordberg Steam Hoist, the largest steam hoist in the world, once lowered miners 9,260 feet down into the shafts of the Quincy Mine.

To reach 9,260 feet down into the shafts of the Quincy copper mine, the world's largest steam-driven hoist was built in 1918. The Nordberg Steam Hoist and its reinforced concrete building, with brick veneer and Italian-tiled walls, cost over $370,000 but was used for only eleven years.