• Underground Tamarack Trammer Car

    Keweenaw

    National Historical Park Michigan

April 2009 Park Advisory Commission Meeting

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: April 17, 2009
Contact: Tom Baker, Management Assistant, 906-337-1104, ext 131

The Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission will convene for its regular quarterly meeting at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at park headquarters located on the corner of Red Jacket Road and US Highway 41. Agenda items include reports from the Personnel Committee, Development Committee, and the Cultural Resources Survey. The Commission, paneled by citizens appointed by the Secretary of the Interior, represents the general public and works collaboratively with the National Park Service to advise and assist with managing the resources of Keweenaw National Historical Park. The Commission’s quarterly meetings are open to the public.

For further information or directions, please contact the park at 337-3168.

 

Meeting Agenda
April 21, 2009

A. Introductory

1. Call to order

2. Introductions

3. Approval of agenda

4. Approval of minutes of January 20, 2009

B. Business

1. Commission reports

a. Announcements

b. Budget

c. Personnel Committee

d. Development Committee

e. Cultural Resource Survey

d. Partnerships Committee

e. Approval of contracts

2. Park reports

3. Other reports from Commissioners

C. Public Comments

1. Comments from legislators or legislative staff

2. Comments from the public

3. Adjourn; next meeting: July 21, 2009

Did You Know?

Miners pose outside the #5 Tamarack Mine shaft in this 1908 photograph by Adolph F. Isler. Keweenaw NHP Archives.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan was home to one of our nation's first mineral rushes. Prospectors seeking copper travelled there in the middle 1840's, a few years before the "49'ers" sought gold out west. The story of this rush is told today at Keweenaw National Historical Park.