• Two

    John Day Fossil Beds

    National Monument Oregon

Artist in Residence

Hyon with unfinished work.

Hyon Fielding, one our 2012 Artists in Residence, with an unfinished work.

NPS Photo

Thank you for your interest in our artist-in-parks program! The 2015 application period is not open at this time. If you would like to receive notification when the application period opens, please email us to be added to the mailing list.

Frequently asked questions about the Artist in Residence Program at John Day Fossil Beds:

How long are residencies and when are they available?

There is no defined length and timing of each residency; it is decided on a case-by-case basis with the selected artist.

What is provided by the National Park Service?

Housing is provided in local (furnished) rental units when available. Reimbursement for supplies used during residency (such as paint, canvases, pencils, notepads, clay, plaster, other raw materials, etc.) may be available up to a pre-determined amount. This amount is decided on a case-by-case basis as the residency is being arranged. Itemized reciepts are required for reimbursement.

What is provided by the artist?

The artist is responsible for arranging transportation to, from, and within the area. The artist will be responsible for arranging their own meals. The artist will bring all the required materials for work with them. There are no art supply stores within the area.

When is the application deadline?

Unknown at this time.

How do I submit my application?

Applications are not being accepted at this time. Joint and group applications are accepted during open periods, and should be submitted in the same e-mail or envelope and clearly marked as such.

How do I submit samples of my work?

Please submit no more than five examples (per person) of artwork via e-mail attachment, link to on online resource, example burned to a CD or DVD, or computer printout on paper. Files should be in a commonly used format. Do not send originals. Materials mailed to the monument will not be returned.

How are artists selected?

A panel of at least three park employees will be convened to review applications. A representative of Discover Your Northwest (DYNW) may also be part of the panel. Special consideration will be given to artists that create works that also fill a park need. Finalists may be asked to supply additional information or artwork examples.

Who owns the right to artwork created during a residency?

The artist retains the copyright for their work. They will grant perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive use licenses for artwork from their residency in the monument to the National Park Service and Discover Your Northwest.

Did You Know?