Due to the Industrial Rope Access Project at the Gateway Arch
Visitors may enter the Arch at the south leg only. Tram rides to the top are still available, the observation deck at the top will have restrictions. Usual walking paths may be closed; please look for signage or a Ranger for walking directions.
Dred Scott Courtroom
The courtroom where the Dred Scott cases were heard is no longer in existence. In 1855, even before the Scott's campaign for their freedom ended, the courtroom received extensive renovation. The large courtroom, as originally constructed, occupied the entire west wing. An architectural flaw was discovered which threatened the wing's ceiling on the first floor, and additional support was required. As a result, a new corridor running on an east-west axis was added, dividing the large courtroom where the Scott trials were heard into two smaller courtrooms. A display about the trial is exhibited in this corridor, near the original site.
Did You Know?
Meriwether Lewis took his Newfoundland dog Seaman on the Lewis and Clark expedition? Seaman made the entire trip with the Corps and is credited with waking the members when a bison entered the camp and almost trampled them. Click here to learn more about Lewis and Clark. More...