Rococo style, c. 1770
Baltimore County, Northampton Iron Works
This is a part of a fireback cast at the Northampton Iron Works, established by Colonel Charles Ridgely and his sons John and Captain Charles in 1761. The iron furnace and forges were located about two miles north of the current location of Hampton mansion. Firebacks were used to protect the bricks on the interior of a fireplace.
Iron. H 65.6, W 55.9 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 2601