Stained Glass Window

Rollover image to zoom

Baltimore; Herman T. Gernhardt

When John and Eliza Ridgely had stained glass windows installed in the Great Hall in 1856, they also added custom-made fan lights depicting the Ridgely coat of arms and stag’s head crest. In the next generation, their daughter-in-law Margaretta Howard Ridgely paid local cabinetmaker, sculptor, and woodcarver William Tuebner $30.00 for “Carving a Staghead & Shield.”

Hampton National Historic Site