Pier Mirror (one of a pair)
Rococo Revival style, 1851
Made by Samson Cariss (fl. 1842-1863)
Soon after the very large mirror bearing the family crest was completed and installed in Hampton’s Music Room, Eliza Ridgely commissioned Samson Cariss to make a pair of smaller pier glasses for the Drawing Room. The bill for these items, dated October 14, 1851, records the purchase: “2 Ornamented Gilt frames for Glasses…$17.00. Placing Crest in Center @ 3.00 …$6.00.” Cariss marked the back of the frame with a large stenciled label which reads “FROM/SAMSON CARISS/Fancy Hardware/& LOOKING GLASS/STORE/No 138 & 140 Balt. St./BALTIMORE.” Throughout the late 19th century, the mirrors were hung in the Drawing Room in the architectural “reveals” on either side of the door to the Great Hall, and they have recently been returned to this location.
Wood, glass. H 182.9, W 102.9 cm
Hampton National Historic Site, HAMP 1087