March 27, 1931
As the president of Richmond's Council of Colored Women, Mrs. Walker devoted much of her time to ensuring its vitality. In 1922, the organization purchased the property at 00 Clay Street in Jackson Ward to serve as a community center for Richmond's black youth. Purchasing this property proved to be a financial risk as Mrs. Walker spent much of her own money to meet mortgage payments, avoid foreclosure and make architectural improvements. CCW members were extremely grateful for her financial support as gleaned from this letter. The address currently houses Richmond's Black History and Cultural Center of Virginia.
Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site, MAWA 99.1703