• An open vista frames two white grave stone and a flag in the distance with a white cottage in the foreground.

    Herbert Hoover

    National Historic Site Iowa

Places

Wooden benches and an iron stove in a sparsely furnished room are sunlit by double hung windows and an open doorway.

Wooden benches and an iron stove provide simple furnishings for the restored Friends Meetinghouse.

NPS Photo

The park's historic structures, like the Birthplace Cottage, the Blacksmith Shop, the Schoolhouse, and the Friends Meetinghouse, symbolize American ideals as Herbert Hoover saw them and lived them. As additions to the historic landscape of Herbert's early years, the Gravesite, the Statue of Isis, and the Presidential Library and Museum connect his childhood to his later accomplishments. Take a virtual tour »

Birthplace Cottage

Herbert Hoover, the first President born west of the Mississippi River, was born in a small two-room cottage on August 10, 1874. Learn more »

Blacksmith Shop

One of several blacksmiths in the community, Herbert Hoover's father Jesse Hoover owned and operated a blacksmith shop, advertising in the local newspaper that horse shoeing and repairing plows were his specialties. Learn more »

Schoolhouse

The one-room West Branch School was built in 1853. It was used as both the community school and Friends Meetinghouse for worship until a separate meetinghouse was completed in 1857. Learn more »

Friends Meetinghouse

The Hoover family worshipped at the Meetinghouse built in 1857 by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Learn more »

Statue of Isis

The people of Belgium gave the bronze statue of Isis, ancient Egyptian goddess of life, to Herbert Hoover for his work on their behalf during the First World War. Learn more »

Presidential Library and Museum

The Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum houses papers and collections relating to both President and Mrs. Hoover. Learn more »

Gravesite of President and Mrs. Hoover

Herbert Hoover died on October 20, 1964 and was laid to rest five days later in this quiet hillside overlooking the cottage where he was born. Learn more »

Did You Know?

Rows of wooden pupils' desks.

The West Branch Schoolhouse was built in 1853 making it the oldest building at Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. The town's Quakers also used the one-room building as their first meetinghouse. More...