Right of Way Permits

Right of way permits are required for commercial purposes for which people must pass over, under, or through park property. These permits are also required for use in documenting new and existing utilities or other uses of park land. Examples of activities that require a right of way permit include construction over or adjacent to park property and work on utilities that pass through park property.

Right of way permits are discretionary and revocable documents and, unlike a deeded easement or fee simple ownership, do not convey or imply any interest in the land.

Right of way permits can only be issued for activities specifically authorized by Congress and only if there is no practicable alternative to the use of NPS lands. If a legal authority for a requested use is not found, the park must deny the request. Right of way permits are usually authorized under 16 U.S.C. 79 or 16 U.S.C. 5. Except when authorized by Congress, any use of park land that would impair the values and purposes for which the park was authorized or be incompatible with the public interest is forbidden.

There is a $250 nonrefundable application fee for right of way permits. Applications for new right of way permits can take from six months to one year to process, so please submit your application as soon as possible.

Contact Pete McCallum at 703-289-2516 for an application.

Did You Know?