lichens, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, bioindicator, monitoring, acid deposition
In this lesson students will better understand different lichen growth forms, their unique symbiotic relationship, and their use as bioindicators. This unit is broken into three parts, involving a trip to the park, a preparation activity and two wrap-up activities.
1) be introduced to vocabulary and definitions relating to lichens
2) gain an overall view of the importance of lichens
3) be introduced to the three main lichen growth forms
4) understand that some lichens are sensitive to particular types of air pollution
5) understand the role lichens play in the biodiversity of Great Smoky Mountains National Park