The Smokies Rock! Middle School (Tennessee)
- in the park
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, GPS, GIS, mapping, geology
OverviewStudents will hike to a scenic view to explore the Smokies geology and its impacts on local geography. Maps, compasses and GPS units are used.
1) To understand the geology of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
2) To learn about the geologic processes that created the Appalachian Mountains.
3) To learn basic map reading skills.
4) To give students an opportunity to present solutions to real world problems.
5) To understand what the term "Stewardship" means and how students can become a steward in their school and their community.