The Visitor Center features:
-20-minute movie about the park
- Interactive exhibits for all ages
- Bookstore with wide selection of books, postcards, magnets, T-Shirts, posters, and more
- Exhibit area of fine art paintings and photography
- First Aid Room
- Back porch with viewing scope
- Restrooms and drinking water
- Simple snacks
- Firewood for sale (when campground concessioner is not open)
- Rangers to answer questions and help you plan your visit
The Visitor Center is open every day year-round except federal holidays in winter.
The park and preserve are open 24 hours a day throughout the year. Visitor Center hours are generally:
9-4:30 in winter
9-5 in spring and fall
8:30-6:00 in summer
Did You Know?
Medano Creek, flowing at the base of Great Sand Dunes, is one of the few and best places in the world to experience "surge flow", where creek water comes in rhythmic waves. More...