Park Campground and Medano Pass Road Closed for Winter
The Pinon Flats Campground is closed for the winter season until April 1. The Medano Pass Road remains closed for winter at Castle Creek Picnic area until snow and ice melt out. More »
Main Park Phone Lines Down
The main phone lines to the Visitor Center and primary park numbers are not operational. Individual staff lines are still functional. Please call 719-378-6373 to reach the Visitor Center.
The Visitor Center features:
-20-minute movie about the park
- Interactive exhibits for all ages
- Bookstore with wide selection of books, postcards, magnets, T-Shirts, posters, and more
- Exhibit area of fine art paintings and photography
- First Aid Room
- Back porch with viewing scope
- Restrooms and drinking water
- Simple snacks
- Firewood for sale (when campground concessioner is not open)
- Rangers to answer questions and help you plan your visit
The Visitor Center is open every day year-round except federal holidays in winter.
The park and preserve are open 24 hours a day throughout the year. Visitor Center hours are generally:
9-4:30 in winter
9-5 in spring and fall
8:30-6:00 in summer
Did You Know?
The 750' dunes look small from the alpine summit of 13,297' Mt. Herard, part of Great Sand Dunes National Preserve. More...