Area Winter Campground Options as of Winter 2013-2014:
· Zapata Falls (BLM campground 7 miles south), 23 sites, no water. (No winter road maintenance.)
· Economy Campground, east of Alamosa, Hwy. 160, south side of highway, (719) 589-5574
· Blanca RV Park, 21 miles, Hwy. 160, south side of road in town of Blanca.
· UFO Watchtower north of Hooper on Hwy. 17 (719) 378-2296
· Sand Dunes Swimming Pool & RV Park, north of Hooper (Hwy. 17), closed Thursdays, (719) 378-2807
· Valley View Hot Springs, Villa Grove Closed 12/1 – 12/28 for maintenance. (719) 256-4315.
· Joyful Journey Hot Springs (yurt/teepee), intersection Hwy. 17 and 285 (719) 256-4328
· Woods and River RV Park, Del Norte, 25 Alder St. (719) 657-4530, or toll free (877) 354-6922.
· Ute Bluff Lodge, Cabins and RV Park, 27680 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 473-0595.
· Goodnight's Lonesome Dove RV and Cabins, 180065 Hwy 160, South Fork.
· Aspen Ridge RV Park, 0700 W. Hwy 149, South Fork.
· Riverbend RV Resort, 33846 Hwy 160, South Fork, (800) 621-6512.
· Rainbow Lodge and RV Park, 30359 Hwy 160, South Fork. (888) 873-5174.
· Forest Service Campgrounds (reservations, if available, at 877-444-6777). Call below for weather closures.
Lodging and Campgrounds near Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
Please contact each establishment for information on current rates, services, and availability. This list begins with those closest to the main park entrance, and extends to those within 45 miles. Links to contact information for regional communities beyond 45 miles are also below.
In the park or near the main park entrance
Piñon Flats Campground (National Park Service) (719) 378-6399 Group reservations online for Loop 2 and Group Sites during warmer months. Loop 1 is first-come, first served. Open spring-fall. Below is a list of area campgrounds that may be accessible in winter months:
Medano Pass Primitive Road Campsites (high-clearance 4WD only)
Oasis Campground Just outside park entrance. (719) 378-2222. Accomodates RVs or tents. Showers, restaurant, store. Generally open April-October.
Zapata Falls Campground - Primitive campground contains 23 first-come, first-served campsites. No hookups. Located at Zapata Falls Recreation Area. $11.00 for individual sites, $20.00 for group sites. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) office in Monte Vista: 719-852-5941.
Zapata Ranch - rustic but elegant historic ranch rooms a few miles south of the main park entrance. Follow the link above, or call (719)378-2356 ext. 110.
Oasis Duplex and Camping Cabins (719) 378-2222. Two-room motel unit and four camping cabins. Open generally April-October.
Fort Garland (31 miles southeast of Visitor Center):
Fort Garland Motor Inn: (719) 379-2993
The Lodge Motel: (719) 379-3434
Best Western Alamosa Inn: (719) 587-2020
White Eagle Lodge at Crestone (719) 256-4722
Casa Del Soul: (719) 256-5788
Dome Sweet Home Bed and Breakfast (719) 256-4374
Mosca (small community 23 miles west of Visitor Center)
Did You Know?
Free ranger programs are offered regularly at Great Sand Dunes from May-September, and on request the rest of the year. Most programs welcome all ages. More...