Governors Island is jointly administered by the Trust for Governors Island
and the National Park Service. Many visitor facilities and services are administered and maintained by Trust for Governors Island. Their facilities are indicated by an asterisk (*).
If you have any questions regarding facilities that belong to the Trust, please call 212-440-2200 Monday - Friday.
If you have any questions regarding facilities that are managed by the National Park Service, please call 212-825-3045 Monday - Friday.
For People With Mobility Impairments:
The following visitor facilities are accessible to wheelchair users with assistance.
- Building 140 - Visitor Information and Bookstore
- *The Governors Island Ferry Terminal in Manhattan - The Battery Maritime Building waiting room.
- *The ferryboat from Manhattan, the Samuel Coursen.
Accessible bathrooms are located:
- *Building 110 - lower level of building - just to the right at the ferry landing.
- *Battery Maritime Building Waiting room.
- *Accessible Portable toilets are located throughout the island.
Please Note: There are no wheelchairs available to borrow at this time.
- *There are over two miles of paved streets on the island.
- The courtyards of Fort Jay and Castle Williams (National Park Service areas) are paved.
- Most of the ranger-led walking tours follow paved, wheelchair-accessible routes.
For People With Hearing Impairments:
A printed, self-guided walking tour of the National Historic Landmark District is provided at the Building 140 - Visitor Information and Bookstore on Governors Island. This will be to your left as you disembark the Manhattan ferry to Governors Island.
Please Note: There is no National Park Service film, video or audio-visual program about Governors Island National Monument.
For People With Sight Impairments:
Large print versions of the National Historic Landmark District walking tours are available upon request. Please contact the park at 212-825-3045 to ensure their availability.
Please Note: Information in Braille is currently unavailable.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact the park at 212-825-3045.