National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy
The National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy is a public-private partnership with the National Parks of New York Harbor and sanctioned as its primary partner under a U.S. Department of the Interior General Agreement. With nearly 27,000 acres, the National Park Service is one of the largest caretakers, public or private, on the waterfront, hosting approximately 20 million visitors annually -- four million of whom visit through Lower Manhattan to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
The mission of the National Parks of New York Harbor Conservancy is to create for the people an unrivaled vehicle to preserve the environment, promote economic development and create on New York Harbor, the finest urban waterfront recreation and educational park system in the world.
The Trust for Governors Island
The Trust is a city agency charged with the planning, redevelopment. and ongoing operations of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust seeks to bring Governors Island back to life, making this island at the center of New York Harbor a destination with great public open space, as well as future education, not for profit and commercial facilities. The Trust is the successor agency to the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation (GIPEC), a former city-state partnership whose mission was similar. In 2010, GIPEC ceased to exist and formally ceded control of its property to The Trust.
Governors Island Alliance
The Governors Island Alliance is a coalition of organizations and individuals working to celebrate the Island's rich history, create memorable parks and public spaces, and ensure appropriate reuse of the Island and its historic structures.
The Governors Island Alliance's concept of redeveloping the Island as a great civic space was the basis for the 2003 transfer from the Federal Government to the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation (now the Trust for Governors Island) and the National Park Service.
Did You Know?
At the battle of Gettysburg in 1863, Henry Hunt commanded the artillery that poured down shot and shell on the Confederate soldiers in Pickett's Charge. From 1844 to 1845 he was a 2nd lieutenant at Fort Columbus on Governors Island recruiting soldiers for the 2nd Artillery Regiment.