Fort Sumter Elevators Out Of Service
The elevators at Fort Sumter are out of service until further notice. Disabled visitors departing from Liberty Square will have access to restrooms on board the ferry boat while at Fort Sumter. For more information, please call (843) 883-3123.
2011 Fort Moultrie Candlelight Tours
Contact: Jeff Jones, (843) 883-3123 x 20
On Friday evening, January 7, 2011 the National Park Service will offer free candlelight tours through Fort Moultrie. Tours will leave from the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center every 20 minutes beginning at 5:30 PM until 7:10 PM. Each tour will be limited to 20 individuals. Visitors may make reservations by calling (843) 883-3123 x 20 or in person at the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center on Sullivan’s Island. Admission is free.
The tours will be led by the Tramp Brigade Organization of Historical Interpreters and will reenact the conversations and events that occurred leading up to the evacuation. Each 30 minute tour will recreate the events of the evening of December 26, 1860 when Major Robert Anderson transferred his entire Federal force from Fort Moultrie to the unfinished Fort Sumter in the middle of Charleston Harbor. This movement infuriated the newly established Republic of South Carolina and led to the seizing of all other Federal installations in Charleston by South Carolina forces. It also began the countdown to the first shots of the Civil War on April 12, 1861.
Additionally on Saturday, Jan 8th reenactors portraying both Federal and South Carolina forces will give presentations at Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie throughout the day.
Fort Moultrie is a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument and is located at 1214 Middle Street, Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina. The fort and visitor center are open daily from 9:00-5:00 except for New Year’s, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. For more information, call (843)883-3123 or visit the park website at www.nps.gov/fosu.
Did You Know?
The incomplete palmetto-log fort used by Patriots during the June 28, 1776 battle of Sullivan's Island had no official name. Called Fort Sullivan by the British, the fort was later named Fort Moultrie in honor of its commander, Colonel William Moultrie. Fort Sumter National Monument, SC