Bridge Repair Work
Beginning September 15, the main bridge into the fort will be closed for repairs. Visitors will be able to access the fort through the sally port entrance. An accessible ramp will be available upon request. Visit the Willett Center for assistance on-site.
Willard Scott Visits the Fort
Contact: Mike Caldwell, 315-336-3113
Television personality Willard Scott visited Fort Stanwix National Monument this afternoon. Mr. Scott was in the Mohawk Valley as part of the "Celebrate Mohawk Valley" program sponsored by the Genesis Group. Mr. Scott took time to visit with park visitors and park staff as well as give commands to fire the artillery. Several volunteers, the Oneida Indian Nation Living History group, Oneida County Executive Joe Griffo and Rome Mayor Jim Brown were on hand to welcome Mr. Scott to Rome.
Did You Know?
Construction of the Erie Canal began near Rome, NY after the first ceremonial shovel full of earth was turned on July 4, 1817. This canal, located only a few miles away from the ruins of Fort Stanwix, would soon overtake the Oneida Carry as New York's prinicple waterway. More...